Is Mold in Your Walls a Problem?
Mold in walls can be a big problem. Well, it’s certainly one of the worst kinds of mold present in walls which is unfortunately too common in almost every household. Mold is that unwelcome guest every homeowner has to face. And yes, even when you attempt to maintain your home clean and dry, sometimes, you may be shocked to discover black mold in walls, ceilings, cupboards, crawl spaces and other surface in your house. It’s not just a matter of cleanliness, mold thrives when moisture remains constant. So, how to know if you have mold in walls?
Mold in walls is more dangerous than water damage. As soon as mold spores are present in the area, they will thrive. This is because mold is highly resilient and it is very difficult to get rid of it. The moment mold spores are allowed to grow on your surface, there’s an inevitable chance that they will adhere on your wall and start growing. This means that you have a double burden of dealing with water damage and mold growth at the same time.
Wall Mold Removal
There are different ways of removing mold from walls. If you have an existing mold infestation, then you definitely need to get rid of mold infestation right away. You should consult your doctor before starting any removal procedures for mold removal because there are different types of molds, which could have different symptoms and effects. For instance, mildew or fungus infection would need only a damp cloth and a little bit of detergent to remove. However, black mold may require the use of proper cleaning materials like bleach, heat, solution, or ultraviolet light to get rid of.
Also, mold may grow in places where you cannot see. For this reason, it is important that you must be able to identify any mold and stop it from spreading. For this, you must know how to smell mold and take note of the different smells that you can detect. Once you have identified the smell, you must move on to taking care of the problem or stopping it from getting worse.
Mold in Walls Prevention
In order to make sure that you prevent mold build-up in inside walls and basement, it is advisable to get a dehumidifier. A dehumidifier is useful in reducing the humidity in the air. It is especially good to use inside walls since it can prevent the growth of mold. By doing so, mold spores won’t survive and they will be easily eliminated.
Another step that you must do if you think that you have mold contamination in inside walls is to seal off the area. You can use sheet plastic to seal the wall and then make water-based wall sealant spray. This water-based sealant spray can penetrate down into the cracks of the wall and fight against the growth of mold. After the sealing process, be careful not to let water get into the space between the wall and ceiling or floor.